How to Hire a Web Designer in 2021: 10 Tips
June 7, 2021
Hiring a web designer or web design company is not just a matter of taste and compatibility. It’s a matter of what your audience likes or is used to as well as the industry dynamics playing out in your geographic location. The reason why you hire a web designer is because you want to design a storefront that speaks to your clients and appears inviting without seeming brash or intimidating.
Why Do Websites Need Good Web Design?
With millions of web entities competing for their attention, people need interesting graphics to catch their eye. Beyond that, your website’s user interface and user experience are what will hold them in place. All this work is done by your graphic designer or your UI/UX designer
. The web designer knows enough code to render functionalities at the back end onto the user’s browser. The best web designers know that IoT has forced developers to channel their content streams directly to devices such as smart watches, kiosks, smartphones, etc. In that case, your chosen designer should be able to handle headless web design as well.
The 10 Steps to Finding your Best Web Design Company
This article describes the 10 most important considerations for businesses before they hire a web design agency to achieve the maximum impact on web visitors across all devices.
1. First ask yourself whether you want to source for a one-off project or a long-term one. A few cheaper sites offer graphic designers for as low as $5 for one design. But then you’re also going to get what you pay for.
2. You should look for graduates in design with a strong coding background.
3. Avoid DIY website builders unless you’re a vastly experienced web designer yourself. Remember that once mistakes have been made at the front-end, organizational reputation is very hard to earn back.
4. Avoid clickbait advertising via excessive popups and push notifications and do not seek solicitations while performing SEO. Instead offer assistance to real customer problems. Present your product or service as the solution where it is most apt.
5. A freelance web designer option can seem cheaper but they’ll probably bill by the hour. There could be unexpected delays or unforeseen circumstances that could derail your project. So weigh the importance of time before you give the job to a freelancer.
6. Check out portfolios online. Good designers will have plenty littered over their social profiles or websites.
7. Look for portfolios in the same industry and niche you’re providing services in. There are a few circumstances where you can hire an artist from a different niche or industry and who will work well for you. But unless you’re able to judge those subtleties of artwork, go for the tried-and-tested.
8. Upwork or Fiverrare great places to search for web designers but cost shouldn’t be your only consideration. Consider the long-term costs of lost clients owing to mundane design.
9. Hire a designer with understanding of UX and UI principles. Your web designer shouldn’t just be a great artist with a flair for the intricate. Sometimes, minimalist design works best because it takes out all the distractions and lets the user focus on the experience instead. This could lead to faster and more frequent conversions.
10. The pandemic has taught us that outsourcing work to faraway places such as the Philippines, Indonesia, or India is a safe bet. However, choose a destination that has a large pool of English-speaking, well-qualified natives. This will ensure that communications run smooth and you get exactly what you asked for.
Have questions? Talk to an expert today.